University of Louisville
Louisville, Kentucky sits on the Ohio River in the midwest part of the United States. The University of Louisville is probably best-known for its basketball team, but they have one of the hottest jazz programs. The campus is situated just south of downtown Louisville.
Faculty members of the Jamey Aebersold Jazz Studies Program include Mike Tracy, Tyrone Wheeler, Ansyn Banks, Chris Fitzgerald, Craig Wagner, and Jerry Tolson. The School of Music is equipped with two performance halls, two rehearsal halls, and numerous classrooms and small practice rooms with pianos.
The Jamey Aebersold Jazz Studies Program
The University of Louisville School of Music is proud to offer the Jamey Aebersold Jazz Studies Program. Through the philanthropic generosity of Mr. Aebersold, who in addition to being one of the leading proponents of jazz education and jazz materials in the world, the School of Music is now poised to have one of the leading jazz studies programs in the nation.
Jazz degrees offered at include a Masters in Performance with a Concentration in Jazz and a Bachelor of Arts with an Emphasis in Jazz Studies. A Bachelor of Arts with an Emphasis in Music Industry is also offered. Scholarship assistance is available for students wishing to focus their study in jazz.
The program features extended residencies by leading jazz artists as well as a continuation of the exciting Jazz Week which features a week long celebration of jazz annually in February with concerts, workshops, and clinics. Jazz Week is an event that regularly features some of the biggest names in the jazz world. Recent guests artists have included Wynton Marsalis, Clark Terry, Marion McPartland, McCoy Tyner, the Dave Brubeck Quartet, Bobby Watson, Marcus Printup, and Hal Miller. Other artists who recently appeared at the School of Music include: The Elvin Jones Jazz Machine, Dave Liebman Quartet, Jimmy Heath, Marcus Printup, Jerry Bergonzi, Joe La Barbera, Kenny Werner Trio, Jeff Hamilton Trio, Peter Erskine Trio, and Eddie Gomez.
The jazz faculty at U of L includes:
• Mike Tracy (saxophonist) – Director of the Jamey Aebersold Jazz Studies Program, Professor of Music and the author of Jazz Piano Voicings for the Non-Pianist and co-author of Pocket Changes and Pocket Changes II.
• Jerry Tolson (saxophonist and vocalist) – Active composer/arranger who performs regionally with three of his own professional groups including a big band and a contemporary jazz ensemble.
• Chris Fitzgerald (pianist/bassist) – An outstanding performer, composer and educator.
• Tyrone Wheeler (bassist) -Adjunct instructor of jazz bass who is known for his work with numerous local and regional groups and can be heard on many Jamey Aebersold Play-A-Long sets.
• Ansyn Banks (trumpet) – Instructor of jazz trumpet. Ansyn teaches jazz styles and analysis, jazz improvisation, and directs UofL’s jazz combo program.
• Craig Wagner (guitarist) – An excellent guitarist with both excellent contemporary and traditional jazz styles.
For further information regarding the University of Louisville Jazz Studies Program please contact:
Michael A. Tracy, Director
Jamey Aebersold Jazz Studies Program
University of Louisville – School of Music
Louisville, KY 40292
502 852 6032 office
502 852 0520 fax