2-Day Seminar w/Jamey
“Anyone Can Improvise!” 2-Day Seminar w/Jamey Aebersold
This 2-day workshop, conducted by Jamey in a classroom/lecture format, is an opportunity to learn about jazz improvisation and ask any question(s) you may have. The sessions are very informal and relaxed, yet highly structured. If you are a novice improviser, teacher, or even a pro who has always felt there was more to learn, you’ll truly enjoy these two days with Jamey.
Instruments are NOT required; however, there will be a jam session on the first evening, and everyone is invited and encouraged to participate. Also, Jamey will demonstrate ideas and concepts in class and may sometimes call on those who have their instruments and are willing to participate, but there’s no pressure to do so.
For many, improvisation represents a giant step. Those without previous experience feel hampered. These two days will open up a world of personal creativity you probably never knew existed. Fundamentals and basics are stressed and each topic is open for discussion.
The following topics will be discussed:
• Purpose of learning to improvise
• How to play what you hear in your head
• Chord/Scale relationships & their use
• Scale Syllabus–how and when to use
• Scales INSIDE scales
• Important books, records & cassettes
• Jazz Nomenclature & notation
• Ear Training exercises–the importance of them, how to do them
• Thorough discussion/demonstration of the Blues & Blues Scales
• Articulation-styles, how to practice them
• Discussion of Swing, Bossa Nova, Bop
• How to build a solo
• Use of Play-A-Long recordings–group/individual assignments
• II-V7-I progression and its place in jazz
• Substitute scales/chords
• HOW to practice/WHAT to practice
• How to practice a song so you really know it
• Piano voicings for non-pianists
• What to listen for when students solo
• Jazz theory and proper application–individual and classroom
… and much, much more!
*There is no Meal Plan available for this seminar. Participants are responsible for all meals. Dorm Accommodations are available.
2-Day Seminar & Week-Long Workshop Combination
You may attend Jamey’s 2-day “Anyone Can Improvise!” Seminar AND the Week-long Workshop at the University of Louisville consecutively … Get Jamey’s classroom presentations followed immediately by a week of intensive, hands-on instruction with our All-Star faculty!
The 2-day seminar is Saturday (10am – 6pm) and Sunday (9am-3pm). Registration for the week-long workshop begins afterward, Sunday afternoon.
These two programs are separate, and you may attend either one and benefit greatly without attending both – but when combined they make for a powerful 7 days of jazz instruction.
Arriving For The Dual-Workshop Extravaganza
If you attend BOTH the 2-Day Workshop and the Week-long workshop, you must be at University of Louisville School of Music no later than 9:00am on Saturday. The 2-Day Workshop begins at 10am on Saturday morning. You may arrive one day early on Friday night (must be by 9pm for dorm accommodations). There is an additional per night charge for dorm accommodations on Friday and/or Saturday.